Dryer Fire Causes $3,500 in Damage
Three departments responded to the fire on Estey Drive on Monday night.
Londonderry firefighters responded to a dryer fire at 9 Estey Drive on Monday night.
Around 8:03 p.m. Monday, a homeowner reported smoke in the basement, according to Fire Chief Kevin MacCaffrie. Upon arrival, he said firefighters found a smoke condition in the basement, emanating from a fire in an electric dryer. The burning clothes were removed and extinguished and the dryer was removed from the building.
Three engines from Londonderry, a ladder from Derry and a tanker from Windham all responded to the scene. Firefighters ventilated the building, and all companies were clear by 8:52 p.m.
No one was injured, and damage is estimated at $3,500.
MacCaffrie said the cause of the fire was lint build-up in the dryer, and reminded residents to clean lint screens after each use, clean exhaust vent hoses quarterly and vacuum under and behind dryers periodically to prevent fires.