A child was killed in a mobile home fire in Londonderry on Thursday afternoon.
The initial call came in at 12:59 p.m. Thursday for a report of heavy fire in a home at the Whispering Pines mobile home park with people trapped, Londonderry Fire Chief Kevin MacCaffrie said.
Londonderry and Derry fire crews were dispatched to the scene. Derry firefighters arrived first and were able to knock the fire down. The blaze was declared under control within about 20 minutes.
MacCaffrie said a child was found in the rear of the building and was transported to Parkland Medical Center in Derry. It was later learned that the child had died. The child's mother and one other child escaped the blaze.
The cause of the fire, according to MacCaffrie, was accidental due to unattended cooking materials.
Fox 25 in Boston reported that the child's mother was at a relative's home nearby when the fire started, and ran to her home attempting to save her child. She was unsuccessful, and suffered minor injuries in the rescue attempt. MacCaffrie said she was also transported to the hospital.
The child's name and age have not been released.
The fire marshal's office said this morning that a press release will be issued once the autopsy is completed today. But MacCaffrie indicated that might not happen until tomorrow.
Thursday's fire was originally believed to be in Derry, as the address for the Whispering Pines mobile home park is on the Route 28 Bypass in Derry. But the mobile home where the fire broke out is actually in Londonderry, just over the Derry line.
Derry, Londonderry and Auburn firefighters all responded to the fire, with Hooksett and Manchester providing station coverage.